Sunday, July 3, 2016

The Biggest Little City


Last May we took a trip to Reno to celebrate my cousin's graduation from college. It was my first time there since our return to the West, and the boys' very first visit.  The first big get together on my dad's side in a couple of years, it was great catching up with my much younger cousins.

I decided to splurge on a deal at the nicest casino/resort in Reno, and got really excited about swimming at the pool with a cocktail in hand.
Alas, after just 5 minutes in the indoor, heated atrium pool I was hit with one of the most humiliating parenting moments of my life. Magnus didn't look where he was swimming and rammed into Linus' back, causing him to throw up in the pool.  I went into a frantic search for hotel staff to help me clean up and watched in horror as kids and dads holding babies waded through the floating, mucousy mess. When I finally grabbed a staff member I was informed that they would have to shut the pool down.  For 8 hours.
Our only option was the outdoor jacuzzi, so I ushered the boys outside before the pool closure announcement was made.  Tropical drink in hand, I watched 20+ disappointed people clear the atrium.
The following morning we treated ourselves to room service and cartoons. Our little princes sat on the bed, eating from fancy trays complete with tiny jars of jam and maple syrup. We took extra hot showers and sipped our coffee in peace before heading to a very empty (and clean) swimming pool.
For lunch we hit up the casino buffet, which features bottomless champagne or mimosas, raw oysters, steamed crab, and the regular sunday brunch menu.
Linus chose fruit and a tiny box of corn flakes, while I got my monies worth in mimosas, oysters, and crab legs.
The best part for the boys had to be the dessert bar, that featured a chocolate fountain and cotton candy machine.
Before hitting the road back to San Francisco we went to the family arcade for some games.
I showed my gaming prowess by winning 500+ tickets on the Kung Fu Panda game below.  Everyone went happy with cheap ass plastic nerd guns I could have bought at the dollar store.  I spent $20 on game tickets, but it was well worth the boost in mom-cred and fun. Visiting Reno will likely become an annual tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment