Life in my house sometimes seems like a bad frat party: it's loud, the floors are sticky, there's always pee on the toilet seat.
Every time we're out together I feel like a traveling disaster. It's not uncommon to get "Whoa!" or "Are they all yours?" from random passerby's. Hey, it's better than the occasional "Are you the nanny?"
Today, on my 6th Mother's Day, I thought a lot about how lucky I am to be "mothered" by others. I get regular support from both my mom and my mother-in-law in so many ways: they love and care for my children; help me with cooking, cleaning, laundry, and groceries; they listen to my problems and offer encouragement. I have siblings that love to spend time with me and my kids, that make me laugh and help me escape the weight of parenthood. I have a husband that, despite never really gifting me the typical flower and cards, consistently shows me love in ways that are meaningful to me.Maybe I've said it in years past, but the children are the gift.
A very dear mentor once told me when Linus was born, "Being a parent is far more awful and wonderful than you can ever imagine, so remember to enjoy the wonderful times."
So that's what I try to do.












No comments:
Post a Comment