Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Escape to Rome: Part 1

My brother Alvin moved to Rome almost 2 years ago, and I finally grabbed the chance to visit him.  Having a busy career and family life, the most I could "take off" was 6 days, two of those being travel days.  I bought the cheapest ticket possible, with a 12 hour leg to Istanbul, Turkey and a 5 hour layover, but it really didn't matter.  Movies and in-flight beverages were all I needed to call it a vacay.
Despite arriving near 2AM, we were determined to beat the crowds at popular tourist sites.  So when Lucy wanted a walk at 7AM, I was happy to come along to see the 'hood.
Alvin's 3 bedroom villa is located on a hill in a quiet neighborhood just 45 minutes (by bus/metro) from central Rome.
First order of business: coffee!
Second order of business: The Colosseum.  It's all that and a bag of chips.


Afterwards we head over to the Forum, a large area of ruins that made up much of Ancient Rome.



Much of the ancient decorations and statues are in museums, and I had a hard time imagining what the Forum looked like 2000 years ago. So instead, I focused on the natural beauty of the site in present day.  Look a gecko!
Before arriving I brushed up on Ancient Roman history, and the story of Rome's founding.  I love that the myth of Remus and Romulus is present throughout the city.
Alvin had to head back to work, so after bingeing on fried artichokes in the Jewish Ghetto, Malou and I went on to explore the Capitoline Museums.

I was super excited to see all of the statues, many of which came from the Forum and Colosseum.
A gladiator, with really awesome gladiator sandals.
At night Alvin brought us to a nearby Sicilian restaurant where Malou and I ate all things fish.
 
On day 2 Malou and I were on our own because Alvin had to work.  We managed to make it into the city center on our own, without getting lost.
Our first stop was the Pantheon, a 2000 year old temple with the world's largest concrete dome. This was probably my favorite site of the trip.
Afterwards we head over to the Vatican to tour the Vatican Museums.
The museum is massive, with buildings and halls filled with sculptures, paintings, and tapestries.
I really liked the sarcophagi depicting early Christian history.
And of course, the animal rooms!
That evening we were Alvin's guests at the end of the year banquet for his students. Party!  Nothing makes you feel old like partying with a bunch of college students. 









No comments:

Post a Comment