Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Lassen Volcanic National Park

Two years ago I bought the kids a pop-up book about volcanoes that is still a favorite to this day.  Images of destruction: lava engulfed cars, neighborhoods covered by ash, and plumes of thick smoke made them want to visit a real volcano.  Back in Virginia this was a bit of a challenge, so I promised them that once we moved West we'd go on a trip to an active volcano.  Most folks think of Hawaii or Mt. St. Helens, but very few know that we have an active volcanic area here in Northern California-- Lassen Volcanic National Park.
The park is home to 4 different kinds of volcanoes, hydrothermal areas, lakes, and diverse flora & fauna.  We  spent a long weekend with Lolo, Lola, and the Kuyper family, camping at the Manzanita Lake Cabins.
Just 100 yards from Lake Manzanita, our cabins had bunk beds with mattresses and heaters.  The lake was great for hiking, kayaking, bird watching, and fishing.  My dad was disappointed that it was catch & release fishing only.  Really, what's the point of fishing if you can't eat the fish?
The kids loved all the semi-unsupervised time playing in the forest.
One day we took a short drive to the Devestated Area, where it was easy to see the path of destruction from the 1915 eruption.  There were historical photos and accounts, as well as descriptions of all the different kinds of volcanic rocks.


Then we took a stroll around a pond.  Anders' favorite part was stabbing me in the back with his pretend gun.

The afternoon was warm enough for a swim in Lake Manzanita, and Lola came prepared with squirters.  I just love the photo of Linus on the left, I plan to use it in 10 years to embarrass him.. Just zoom in to see his facial expression, priceless!

Evenings were spent around the fire, cooking and eating.  Clearly, the kids got dirty, but we really didn't care.  I doubt they washed there hands during that entire weekend.


Unlike our last real camping adventure, when we decided we'd be OK with stopping at 2 kids, everything went smoothly.  From the long car ride there and back, to keeping safe, and everyone being in a good mood-- I couldn't ask for a better trip.  Maybe the formula of 2 families with kids + one set grandparents + margaritas/boxed wine is a winning combination?  Maybe the kids have learned to enjoy the great outdoors?  Maybe I learned to expect travel to be hard work and lowered my expectations?  It's probably a little bit of everything.  But for our family, roughing it isn't so rough any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment