There's something magical about being with a baby, that translates into healing power. Their soft skin, those bright eyes, and wide toothless smiles all send a message to your body that no matter what's going on, the world can't be that bad of a place. A few weeks ago, Magnus and I went on a mission to share his healing powers with my dad out in California. Some of you might have heard that he recently had surgery to treat prostate cancer. The visit was planned before my dad's surgery so that he had something to look foward to, but was scheduled weeks after the actual surgery so that he had some time to recover. He had to be well enough to hold a baby, after all.
| Lolo was so happy to see Magnus. |
| Lola was pretty happy, too. |
The grounds were beautifully kept, and I especially loved how the garden was surrounded by redwood trees.
The following day I trekked up to the city with Magnus for another mission: bring home Tartine ham & cheese croissants for Mattias. Now that I've tried croissants at both Balthazar and Bouchon in NYC, I can confidently declare that NYC pastries ain't got nothin' on our beloved Tartine. While we waited for the glorious pastries to emerge from the oven, Magnus and I took a stroll around Valencia Street. Left to right: Magnus in front of random artwork, a U-lock on a toddler bicycle (What kind of world do we live in?!?), and Magnus on 18th Street with Sutro Tower in the background.
Afterwards, we saw my friend Stephanie, her husband Mel, and their dog Rocky. Steph and I are friends from the college dorms, and she is expecting her first child. Talk about a cute pregnant lady! But of course, I forgot to snap a picture of her cuteness. Here are the dudes chillin' on the floor. Rocky is going to make one great big brother!
We did get to have some chill out time at the house. And I took full advantage of my parents watching Magnus by getting a pedicure and a couple of massages with my sister Malou. Magnus had a great time rolling around the living room and bathing in the bathroom sink. I'm sure the house seemed really quiet after we left. And I know my dad seemed to be doing just a little bit better than when we arrived. Mission accomplished.
One of the most pleasant surprises on the way back home was the new domestic terminal at SFO. I am always amazed at how progressive and modern the SF area is. T2 as they call it, looks like a hotel lobby with lots of artwork and sculptures suspended from the ceilings.
It has kids play areas, pleasant cafes, and phone/laptop charge stations. The best part: they tell you to dump out the contents of your water bottle before the security check and have stations to refill them on the other side. Genius!
Before our flight we hung out in one of the kids' spots, and thought about how much more pleasant travel would be if all airports were designed like this.
And the trip was over, just like that. My apologies to friends that I did not get to see, I hope you understand how short of a trip it was. Not to mention how busy-- traveling alone with a baby is no joke. If it weren't for a few kind parents on both flights, I don't know how I would have survived.
As a last note: every one of us will be touched by cancer in some way during our lifetimes. The American Cancer Society exists to inform, advocate for, and support us. Please consider supporting me during this year's Relay for Life. Donations go to programs that educate the public, including the comprehensive website that my mom and I referenced just after my dad's diagnosis. Click here to donate.









The picture of your dad with Magnus is priceless. I'm sure you will treasure it always. Looks like a great trip! Hope you are all doing well.
ReplyDelete