This is the first year I refused to take the lead on Halloween costumes. With all the studying and stressing I'm doing over my board exam, I can barely plan meals let alone costumes for 5. In his typical fashion Mattias easily agreed to take charge, and he and the boys began brainstorming. Lately we've been playing a lot of 80's video games on a console our friend Mel gave us years ago, and the boys naturally gravitated to PacMan.
With one wacky visit to the craft store, Mattias exact drafting to get the pixelation just right, and a lot of schooling from the craft queen of the house, we put together our costumes. We attend 3 Halloween events so the costumes had to be durable, and easy to walk and trick or treat in.We left the house as soon as the sun set behind Buena Vista Park. Our first stop was a nearby cooking school that dishes out hot spiced cider or wine for the grownups.
Afterwards we made a beeline through the cul de sacs that surround historic Duboce Park. Our neighbors were out in full effect, sitting around their porches and stoops, camped out with candy and ready to enjoy the best people watching of the year.
The night was a smashing success, defined by: 3 very heavy bags of candy, 3 slightly buzzed adults, and all of us stumbling home thinking it was 10 when it was only 7:30. The whole month was a great lesson for me, the doer, who always thinks I need to take charge and do the heavy lifting for all things holidays. It turns out my family members, when given the opportunity, are doers too. These wonderful costumes, some of our best yet, were the result of everyone putting in their fair share.
But I'll still take my cut of the candy.






No comments:
Post a Comment