OK, I promise after this one I won't ever title another blog after a crappy TLC baby-themed reality show. But with the amount of sleep we're running on, the creative juices aren't exactly flowing.
Linus had a great time staying at Farmor and Farfar's house while we were in the hospital-- he got to watch lots of YouTube truck/race car/monster truck videos, eat while watching said videos, get ice cream dessert after finishing his dinner, and never had to use his "inside voice". He even explored a potential future occupation: tree doctor. But after we made a break from the hospital (a whole night early!) we were eager to reunite our family at home (minus Guster 'cuz he a punk.)
Once home, we knew he had to keep Linus busy. He had been battling a fever and cold for several days and needed a lot of attention. One idea I liked from the sibling class we attended was to take the older sibling aside and make something for the new baby. In this case we chose to make a Chocolate Guinness Cake with cream cheese frosting. Linus helped me measure ingredients, sift, and dump the ingredients into the bowl.
Like his pappa, he is a pro at licking spoons clean.We had a lot of quiet time to snuggle with and get to know our little baby. If you haven't heard yet, mini-Magnus is the easiest, most mellow baby. He nurses well, barely cries, and from very early on slept in 3-4 hour intervals at night. We're not sure if it's our experience as parents, or a difference in his disposition, but bringing home baby feels easier this time around. (Or it could be that Mattias isn't writing his PhD thesis while I prepare for a cross-country move.) Here are a few examples of Magnus' supreme cuddliness.
Some mornings/nights feel like a blur. This picture was taken at 5:50AM while the 3 boys watched "Sesame Street".
If you know me, you know I can't stay in the house for very long, especially when the weather is gorgeous. When Magnus was 8 days old we decided to head out to Gravelly Point Park to picnic and watch the airplanes land at Reagan National Airport.
Linus loved playing "Bodyslam!" with Farfar. Check out the expression of pain on Magnus face on the right picture-- so real he can join the WWF!
Farmor had a wonderful time cuddling with the Snuggle Master.
We don't want to make life all about the new baby, and we have a busy toddler on our hands. Linus is all about learning and exploring, and it's been really fun teaching him anything that catches his interest. So one morning, Mattias took him to the National Air & Space Museum to see the Blackbird a.k.a. "Fastest plane ever!" Linus especially likes rockets and spaceships.
And on a sunny afternoon, we even squeezed in a stroll and a "date" at our new favorite spot, Northside Social. I had me a drink of bubbly, and so I could enjoy it in peace, I got Linus an ice cream.
As you can imagine, I have my hands full.
And sometimes the tiny dictator gets what he wants because we just don't have the energy to deal. Dinner in front of the TV? Sure, why not.
And eventually we took Guster back, bringing the "Boy Total" of the household up to 4. It blows my mind that I am surrounded by this many boys, and am doing laundry for a total of 4 people. Guster immediately resumed his rightful throne-- the softest spot in the house, this time a clean pile of laundry.So has it been wonderful and worth it? You bet! Linus has been a caring and semi-gentle big brother, Mattias and I have been (for the most part) working as a well oiled machine, and everyone's support has been amazing. We are tired and busy, but there is nothing better than watching an entire family's capacity for love grow.
Great photos Ellie! You guys are doing awesome. Can't wait to see more posts ;-)
ReplyDeleteLove that picture of Linus hugging Magnus. Makes me all sentimental to think that you just brought a brother into the world for him. Crazy.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you all are adjusting really well. How in the world did you get Magnus to sleep so well right off the bat?!
ReplyDeleteJenny- we didn't really do much of anything. This kid was just born easy! It's so much easier having family close by, you'll see.
ReplyDeleteWho cuts Linus' hair? It looks so much better than the bowl cuts we used to get.
ReplyDeleteAlvin- I am the family stylist :)
ReplyDeleteYou got the style from me.
ReplyDeleteDad
Yay! Such a sweet blog entry :) I'm so happy to hear that everything is going well. You and Matt are amazing! That last picture had me tearing up a little.
ReplyDeleteYeah right, dad. I learned "How NOT to cut hair" from you!
ReplyDelete