Thursday, October 16, 2008

Beginnings

Most of you thought we were crazy to fly with Gus, Minners, and Linus AND fly standby. But guess what? It happened and it all worked out. Gus was just happy to be reunited with us, even though he looks pretty bummed in his carrier at the airport.


Mr. Linus was dressed for the occasion with a shirt that read "Congratulations! You get to sit near me!"

Here is Mattias, being what our friends call a "goldmine." Mattias hates to fly, yet was happy to sit with Linus for the entire flight. Linus was happy to be held by his pappa and slept 80% of the time. Pictures like these remind me of why I married Mattias.

And here we are at the end of the odyssey, smiling and all.


We didn't waste any time after we arrived and got down to priority #1- finding good places to eat! A craving for the famous Chesapeake Blue Crab brought us to DC's waterfront where there is a thriving fish market.

Here Mattias grins because we found a source of fresh sushi fish- a must for our family. My mom went a little nuts and ordered half a bushel of steamed crabs. I didn't know how many that would be, but it turned out to be around 40. Mind you, we took the Metro there and had no real plan of how we were gonna bring it home.



So we figured we should eat as many as possible right there on the wharf. There were no seats or tables, just this bar. Because my mom and I are such skilled crab pickers, we only had a grocery bag left to take home!



Our apartment is in Arlington, situated between the Ballston and Clarendon neighborhoods. We live in a 19 story building, one of a few that allows dogs, that is on top of a metro station. The apartment is a somewhat large 1 bedroom, with just enough room for 2 adults, a dog, a cat, and maybe even 2 kids ;)



I'm in the kitchen, as usual. I try to have dinner ready and on the table by the time Mattias gets home from work- like a good housewife :)



Minners asserting her world domination.



Mattias taking a break from all the unpacking.



The view from our balcony at night. There are some beautiful sunsets out here.



And we're never too busy for quality time with Linus. Mattias is reading one of our favorite children's books, "Oh the Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss.



Arlington ain't half bad! I can walk or take the metro everywhere, and everything I need is within reach. I go to the farmer's market every Wednesday or Friday, and there's a monthly craft fair in the warmer months.



I bought these cool earrings. If you look closely you'll see they're little sushi (I think California rolls.)



Almost 3 weeks after the move and we are finally settling in and are 90% done unpacking. My maternity leave ends in 2 weeks. Lucky for us, I will only work part time and we still have plenty of time to relax and explore our new home turf. More on our travels on the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment